This is welcome news for everyone who has followed Saif’s case since 2011.
Quoting the former Libyan Minister of Justice,
The leader of the revolution and his son do not hold any official position in the Libyan government and therefore they have no connection to the claims of the ICC against them.This case is nothing but a cover for the military operations of NATO. NATO had declared its intention to assassinate Gaddafi.
Libya’s first response to the issuance of arrest warrants should have concluded the matter.
Given that the ICC have no evidence against Saif Gaddafi except what was given to them by corrupt officials seeking political revenge, there is no doubt that they will be forced to declare the case inadmissible.
Saif al-Islam Gaddafi released
Muammar Gaddafi’s most prominent son has been released by his Libyan jailors, his lawyer at the ICC has told FRANCE 24.
Saif Gaddafi “was given his liberty on April 12, 2016”, lawyer Karim Khan said Wednesday, adding that Saif al-Islam was released under an amnesty law and “in accordance with (Libyan) law”.
Khan declined to say whether he had spoken to his client, saying only that he “is well and safe and in Libya”.
Saif al-Islam had been held since 2011 by militia in Zintan, in a mountainous western region beyond the control of authorities in the capital, Tripoli.
He was sentenced to death in absentia by a court in Tripoli in July 2015 but the sentence wasn’t carried through.
The verdict had drawn condemnation abroad, with Human Rights Watch saying the trial was riddled with legal flaws and carried out amid widespread lawlessness undermining the credibility of the judiciary.
The proceedings began in April 2014 before fighting between rival factions in Tripoli erupted, and the power struggle has loomed large in the unraveling of state authority around the vast, oil-producing North African country.
Saif al-Islam is also wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, which issued an arrest warrant in 2011.
Khan said he would file an application to make the ICC case inadmissable, arguing that his client has already been tried by his home country.
Invoking the principle of “double jeopardy”, he said: “It is prohibited to try an individual twice for the same offense”.
Asked whether dropping charges against Saif al-Islam would hurt reconciliation efforts in the war-torn country, the lawyer said it was “up to Libyans to decide what is best for peace and reconciliation”, not the ICC.
Interview with Khaled al Zaidi, Legal Counsel to Saif Gaddafi
Marcel Ceccaldi is Saif Gaddafi’s New Defense Lawyer
Press Conference in The Hague with Saif Gaddafi’s Defense Team
سيف القذافي يطالب المحكمة الجنائية الدولية بإسقاط الملاحقات بحقه
وزارة العدل تصدر قرارا بالافراج عن سيف الاسلام القذافي
Zintan Prison Administration Response to the Ministry of Justice in the Case of Saif Gaddafi
مصدر يوضح لـ«بوابة الوسط» حقيقة وثيقة الإفراج عن سيف القذافي
محامو سيف الإسلام القذافي يؤكدون نبأ الإفراج عنه
أعلن محامى سيف الإسلام القذافى، نجل الرئيس الليبى الراحل معمر القذافى، الإفراج عن موكله بموجب قانون العفو العام، وأكد أنه سيقدم طلبًا للمحكمة الجنائية الدولية لإسقاط الملاحقات القضائية عنه. وقال كريم خان، محامى سيف الإسلام القذافى لقناة فرانس 24، أن الإفراج عن موكله يأتى بعد خمس سنوات قضاها فى السجن، حيث استفاد نجل معمر القذافى من قانون العفو العام الذى يطبق على كل الليبيين دون استثناء- على حد تعبير المحامى. وأكد خان الإفراج عن سيف الإسلام القذافى، وقال “أفرج عنه فى 12 أبريل 2016″، إلإ أنه لم يوضح إن كان تحدث إلى موكله أم لا، وأضاف “إنه بخير وفى أمان وموجود فى ليبيا”. وقال كريم خان أنه “سيقدم طلبًا للمحكمة الجنائية الدولية لإسقاط الملاحقات عنه”، استنادا إلى المبدأ القاضى بأنه “لا يمكن أن يحاكم شخص مرتين بالتهم نفسها”.