Dozens Dead, Hundreds Wounded as Militias Clash with Civilians in Tripoli

Editorial Comment:

As government-backed militias slaughter peaceful protesters in Tripoli, will the UN call an emergency session, impose a “no fly zone”, issue a resolution for NATO intervention and the take down of the lawless regime? The hypocrisy is clear for the entire world to see!!! And the massacre continues!


أشلاء الطالبة في كلية القانون ” عائِشة الصادق ” مِن سكٌانْ غرغور بعد أن هاجمتها العصابات المسلحة بوابل من قذائف سلاح مضاد للطائرات
الحركة الوطنية الشعبية الليبية

ATTENTION EDITORS - VISUAL COVERAGE OF SCENES OF INJURY OR DEATH People carry a man who was injured when Libyan militiamen opened fire into a crowd of protesters in Tripoli November 15, 2013. REUTERS/Stringer

At least 13 people were killed and more than 130 wounded in fighting between militiamen and armed residents of the Libyan capital Tripoli on Friday, the state news agency Lana said – the third outbreak of street fighting in 10 days.

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan demanded that all armed militias leave Tripoli, “without exception”.

But the clashes underscored the weak central government’s inability to contain the regional militias. Armed disorder has blocked most oil exports for months.

Friday’s bloodshed, the worst in Tripoli for months, began when militiamen from the city of Misrata fired into the air and then into hundreds of protesters demanding their eviction from the capital after they had fought other groups for control of certain neighborhoods.

A Reuters reporter saw an anti-aircraft cannon firing from the “Gharghur brigades'” gated compound into the crowd as protesters chanted: “We don’t want armed militias!”

Demonstrators fled but then returned, heavily armed, to attack the compound, where the militiamen remained holed up past nightfall.

Dozens of soldiers in trucks tried to separate the two sides, and sealed off roads to prevent more people joining the clashes.

Heavy smoke could be seen rising from the scene in the Gharghur district.

AIRCRAFT OVERHEAD

Air force planes circled overhead. “We want to make sure the militia don’t bring in any reinforcements,” said army spokesman Ali al-Sheikhi.

Tripoli has been spared the almost daily bombings and killings that plague Libya’s second city, Benghazi, in the east.

But when clashes between rival militias do break out, the nascent armed forces are no match for them.

Strikes and armed protests around the country by militia and tribal gunmen demanding payments or more autonomy rights have also shut much of the OPEC member’s oil output, depriving the government of its main source of income.

The authorities have tried to defuse the threat of the militias by placing them on the government payroll and assigning them to provide security.

But the gunmen often remain loyal principally to their own commanders and fight for control of local areas, especially their weapons or drug smuggling, or to settle personal feuds.

Zeidan was himself briefly abducted in October by a militia group on the government payroll. He has called for more foreign training for his military.

Friday’s violence began as a peaceful rally by some 500 people demanding the departure of the Misrata gunmen, who had fought twice last week with a rival group that had detained one of their members for driving a car without number plates.

Reuters

علي زيدان: 27 قتيلا وأكثر من 230 جريحا باشتباكات في العاصمة الليبية طرابلس

أعلن رئيس الوزراء الليبي علي زيدان عن مقتل 27 شخصا وإصابة 235 آخرين في أعمال العنف التي اندلعت بعد خروج مظاهرة بمنطقة غرغور في العاصمة الليبية طرابلس يوم الجمعة 15 نوفمبر/تشرين الثاني، تنديدا بوجود ميليشيات مسلحة في المدينة.

وكان علي زيدان قد عبر عن أسفه وأعرب عن تعازيه لأسر الضحايا والمصابين في كلمة توجه بها إلى الشعب على خلفية هذه الأحداث. وقال “إن هذه الفواجع التي تتوالى يوما بعد يوم هي بسبب الاندفاع والتمترس وراء السلاح”، مشيرا إلى أن الحكومة الليبية قد سبق ونبهت إلى خطورة وجود السلاح خارج إطار قوات الجيش والشرطة.

ودعا زيدان كافة المليشيات المسلحة بدون استثناء الى مغادرة طرابلس فورا.

وفتح المسلحون المتمركزون في المنطقة نيران أسلحتهم باتجاه المتظاهرين، فيما تحدث شهود عيان عن توجه أعداد كبيرة من الأرتال الأمنية استعدادا لاقتحام غرغور بعد تعثر الحل السلمي مع المسلحين، إضافة إلى تحليق الطيران الحربي فوق المنطقة.

وأضاف الشهود أنهم سمعوا أصوات انفجارات متتالية وتواصلا لاطلاق النار بالأسلحة الخفيفة والمتوسطة. وقد ناشدت المستشفيات التي عجت بالمصابين المواطنين التبرع بالدم. هذا وخرجت مظاهرات في بنغازي ومدن ليبية عدة تضامنا مع أهالي طرابلس.

كما نقلت وسائل إعلام أنباء عن توجه مقاتلين من مدينة مصراتة إلى العاصمة لمساندة المجموعة المسلحة في غرغور.

هذا وقطع وزير الدفاع الليبي زيارته إلى الأردن بسبب الأحداث الجارية في طرابلس ليعود إلى بلاده.

الباحثة السياسية كريمة ميداني: الليبيون يتظاهرون للمطالبة بحقهم في العيش بسلام

قالت الباحثة السياسية كريمة ميداني في حديث لقناة “RT”، إن مفتي الديار الليبية صادق الغريان دعا إلى التظاهر السلمي للمطالبة بحق الشعب في العيش بسلام. وأضافت أن مؤسسات المجتمع المدني أصدرت بيانا حذرت فيه من تفاقم الوضع الأمني.

الباحثة السياسية كريمة ميداني

الصحفي نعيم العشيبي: بعض المشاركين في المظاهرة كانوا مسلحين

قال الصحفي نعيم العشيبي لقناة RT، إن المظاهرة في طرابلس بدأت سلمية للمطالبة بخروج التشكيلات المسلحة التي انتشرت في المدينة منذ سقوط نظام معمر القذافي.

وأضاف العشيبي أنه رغم سلمية المظاهرة إلا أن بعض المشاركين كانوا مسلحين بحكم انتشار السلاح في العديد من المدن الليبية، وقد وقع تبادل لإطلاق النار، وردت التشكيلات المسلحة بشكل كثيف.

الصحفي نعيم العشيبي

الصيداوي: الأحداث في ليبيا قابلة للتصعيد

واعتبر مدير المركز العربي للدراسات السياسية والاجتماعية رياض الصيداوي أن الأحداث في ليبيا قابلة للتصعيد وسببها انهيار الدولة وجيشها. وذكر أن انتشار السلاح في البلاد يؤدي إلى تهديد يومي للأمن فيها.

رياض الصيداوي

المحلل السياسي حافظ الشروي: أحداث العنف جاءت نتيجة لصراع أطراف مسلحة ولضعف الحكومة

قال المحلل السياسي حافظ الشروي في حديث لقناة “RT”، إن هذه الأحداث التي وقعت بعد تجمع أهالي طرابلس ونشطاء من منظمات المجتمع المدني عقب صلاة الجمعة للتظاهر والمطالبة بخروج المسلحين من مدينة طرابلس، جاءت نتيجة لضعف الحكومة ولصراع أطراف قوية ومسلحة.

المحلل السياسي حافظ الشروي

المصدر: RT + وكالة الأنباء الليبية